What does "variable bowel activity within the limits of physiologic" mean?

I was recently diagnosed with follicular lymphoma. I then had a PET scan done. What does following The Final Radology Report indicate: Abdomen: No abnormal activity is identified within the abdomen. No abdominal or retroperitoneal lymphadenopathy is identified. Normal bilateral renal collecting system activity is present. There is "variable bowel activity which is within the limits of physiologic."
Posted Sat, 22 Feb 2014 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Report Detailed Answer: Hello and thank you for sending the question. Regarding the report the bilateral renal collecting system activity indicates that your kidneys are functioning normally and excreting urine properly to the bladder. This is evident on a PET scan because the radioactive sugar is processed through the kidneys and excreted through the bladder. Generally follicular lymphoma does not light up on a PET scan very well because the lymphoma cells are not dividing rapidly compared to more aggressive lymphomas.. Usually we use regular CT scans with intravenous and oral contrast but for your Drs. it was important for them to request the PET scan to get a general baseline stage of how things look related to your lymph nodes. The variable bowel activity indicates that there was no suspicious activity within the lymph nodes that surround the intestines. I suspect your physician may discuss the possibility of treating you or observing you for a period of time prior to advancing with treatment. There have been many exciting developments in the field of lymphoma and this is becoming disease entity which is very treatable. Thanks again for sending your question. Dr. G