What does vaginal redness with white discharge,indicate?

I have vaginal redness and irritation with a milky white discharge. Also inner labia is normally rough with papillae but those seem inflamed. Mild burning and itch. What could this be?
Posted Fri, 24 Jan 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: more likely due to a yeast infections Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic The most common cause for white vaginal discharge is a yeast infections, it commonly causes itching. The inflammation that occurs as a result of the infection causes the redness. The burning that occurs would result from the infection itself and also from the itching that it causes. The treatment can either be topical or oral. There are different topical choices, some are available over the counter. Examples are:nizoral, monistat, canesten, vagistat. The oral choice is diflucan 150 mg ,this is taken as a stat dose, only one dose is needed. There are other infections that can cause a discharge but the colour is normally different. (1) Infections due to bacterial vaginosis normally cause a white grey discharge with a fishy odour. (2) infections due to chlamydia and gonorrhea , may or may not cause any symptoms. If a discharge does occur it is normally yellow green (3) trichomoniasis also causes a yellow- green discharge I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: What does vaginal redness with white discharge,indicate? 10 minutes later
I have worried that the papillae that has become more noticable may be warts? They don't appear typical and again the rough texture isnormal for me but just worried that warts may have developed beyond the papillae?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer: the infection would distort the vaginal area Detailed Answer: HI Because the yeast infection would cause swelling and distort the normal structure, it is difficult to assess the vaginal structure at this point. It would be best to treat the infection then reassess the vagina. Warts in the vaginal normally present as flat or pedunculated lesions. Please feel free to ask anything else