What does uterine didelphys indicate in an ultrasound?

I just had my first ultrasound and I have a uterine didelphys. I have had another child and he was perfectly fine but I am concerned with what was seen today. In the right horn was a perfectly healthy little one but in the left was just a yolk sak. Does this mean I have miscarried in one side or could I possibly have concieved at another time in the left and its ok too?
Posted Wed, 5 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Follow upp would determine what the exact scene is Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this disturbing finding on ultrasound today. It is extremely rare that you conceived in two different cycles. This is because pregnancy in itself stops further ovulation and the opening to the uterus is closed making sperms unable to gain access into the uterus thus making conception impossible. For how long have you been pregnant? If you have been pregnant for more than 8weeks, there this is troubling because at this age we should be able to see the fetus and the heart beat. Further evaluation would give us clear answers as to this. Remember that even if there is a miscarriage here, it will not directly threaten the other good pregnancy. It has been observed with twin pregnancies where one dies and the other continues normally. In all, we need to do follow up with another ultrasound to determine the exact nature of what we are dealing with. I will encourage you to stay calm while your doctor tries to get answers to these findings. I hope this addresses your query fully. Thank you so much for using our services and please feel free to ask for clarifications if need be. I wish you the best of health. Dr. Ditah, MD.