What does " trace of pleural effusion non specific was seen" mean?

General Surgeon
Hi I had a chest xray that said lungs clear.But a trace of pleural effusion non specific was seen. I was getting pain in upper right abdomen when taking a big breath. Im concerned it could mean lung cancer.My doctor does not seem worried. What should I do. Thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 14 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Please note that chest X-ray is not a good test to detect lungs cancer. Its because it can only show large lesions. And large lesion is usually an advanced type of cancer. Lung cancer is usually seen as a circular shadow. Pleural effusion is usually caused by some post inflammatory changes. It does not indicate cancer. But even if your X-ray is clear, this does not rule the cancer out. If you smoke, to make sure, you should have chest CT every two years. Also if you are feared of this cancer, this test is the best way to rule it out. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.