What does "trace of mitral valve regurgitation and trace tricuspid valve regurgitation" mean?

Hello I am 25 years old, my echo result, shows trace of mitral valve regurgitation and trace tricuspid valve regurgitation. Everything else was normal but my right ventricle shows cavity size is mildly enlarged at 429.9 I weight 117 and I am 5'2. The doc said my heart is healthy and that I have nothing to worry about. Everything else was normal and my ejection fraction is 60% which doc said is considered normal. I been worry and haven't been sleeping much. Could my sleepy pills zolpidem 10 mg that I have been taking for a while have caused this. How often should I get check? Thank you, please respond, I am so worried :(
Posted Fri, 7 Mar 2014 in Valvular Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Brief Answer: ejection fraction means pumping out enough Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic It is understandable to be concerned. The heart is divided into a right and a left side. Each side is then divided into a top part (atria) and a bottom part (ventricles). The right side of the heart receives blood from the body and sends it to the lungs to receive oxygen. When the blood gets oxygen it then goes to the left side of the heart (first to the atrium and from the atrium to the ventricle) . From the left side of the heart the blood is then sent out to the body. The mitral valve is the outlet leading from the left atrium (top part of the left side of the heart) to the left ventricle. Blood is suppose to flow from the atrium to the ventricles and then out of the heart. The mitral valve is suppose to stop blood from going back from the ventricle back into the atrium. Mitral regurgitation means that blood is going back from the ventricle to the atrium. Mitral regurgitation is one of the more common valve problems. If this leak is small and there is no progression, then there are no significant consequences. Most persons with mild mitral regurgitation may not experience any symptoms. (2)On the right side of the heart,the tricuspid valve is between the right atrium and right ventricle. It is suppose to stop blood from going from the right ventricle to the right atrium. Because the right side of the heart is mildly enlarged , the valve space would be a little wider and blood would be able to flow backwards- tricuspid regurgitation. If this is mild and again non progressive, then there should be no problems. (3)ejection fraction measures the amount of blood that the heart is able to pump out. Normal ejection fraction is between 50 to 65% , though some place go up to 70% as normal. If either the mitral regurg or the tricuspid regurg was affecting the heart significantly then the ejection fraction would decrease. The fact that this is normal means that the heart is still pumping out blood normally. In terms of a repeat echo, this can be done every 12 to 18 months or sooner if you experience symptoms of heart failure (shortness of breath, palpitations, chest pain, swelling of the feet). In terms of the zolpidem, though it can sometimes cause palpitations, it is not known to cause any other significant heart disease. I hope this helps,feel free to ask any other questions