What does these levels of Alanine Transaminase and Bilirubin mean?

Apr 2014

Hello Doctor, Recently I did tests and found that my Alanine Transaminase (ALT/SGPT) is 124 and Bilirubin Indirect is 1.57. Can you please let me know what it means to me. Thanks, XXXX
Posted Sat, 22 Mar 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 55 minutes later
Brief Answer: You can take tablet Ursodeoxycholic acid 300 mg. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for writing to HCM Increased SGPT indicates liver injury. You are suffering from hepatitis.This is also indicated by yellow colour of urine. It is also important to know about yellow discolouration of body and colour of stool. You need proper clinical examination and few more investigations. Other investigations include Viral markers,Ultrasound of abdomen.Further investigations can be done if needed. You can take tablet Ursodeoxycholic acid 300 mg twice daily after food for three months.It helps in regeneration of damaged liver cells.Further need to continue drug depend upon response. You should avoid fatty and spicy food. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX