What does "there is no yolk sac,no heart beat and gestational sac measuring 1.24 cm" indicate?

May 2013
Am done with iui procedure on dec 23 2013.. Pregnancy is positive.. Done ultra sound on feb 3 ..there is no yolk sac,no heart beat and gestational sac is there measuring 1.24 cm.. Gestational age 5 w2 tensed ...pls help me
Posted Mon, 24 Feb 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: Repeat ultrasound after 2 weeks Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. Usually transabdominal ultrasound can detect gestational sac with fetal heart beat after 6 completed weeks. And transvaginal ultrasound can detect after 5 completed weeks. This period can vary from person to person depending on the day of ovulation etc. So, better to repeat the ultrasound after 2 weeks. Possibly by that time heart beat can be seen. You continue the medicines prescribed by your doctor. If heart beat is not appreciated after 2 weeks also, that could be a blighted ovum. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the response, please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.
Follow-up: What does "there is no yolk sac,no heart beat and gestational sac measuring 1.24 cm" indicate? 1 hour later
Thanks for your prompt reply. However I have few queries which I would like to get them clarified. My last Lmp was on 10th Dec 2013. IUI was done on 23rd december. So what will be my gestational age, how will it be calculated. When can we see the yolk sac and fetal pole. According to my last Lmp I think I should be 8 week pregnant but during the US scan they said gestational age is 5 weeks 2 dayS. Is tht healthy sign of baby. How will the gestational age be calculated for IUI procedure ( from last Lmp or conception date).
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 10 hours later
Brief Answer: Gestational age by lmp Detailed Answer: Hi, Usually gestational age is calculated from last menstrual period. It applies for IUI also. So your gestational age should be 8 weeks according to your lmp as you said. If conception occurred with IUI, fetal pole and cardiac activity might have noted by this time. If ovulation got delayed there is possibility of late conception and disparity between the gestational age by lmp and ultrasound. Repeat ultrasound after one week can clarify the doubts.