What does the thyroid is heterogeneous in nature with parenchymal septations mean?

what does the thyroid is heterogeneous in nature with parenchymal septations present mean ( spelling is correct ) Needs and Endocrinologist
Posted Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: Ultrasound Detailed Answer: this looks like an ultrasound report. heterogenous means irregular appearance of the thyroid. it can happen in a condition called Hashimoto's thyroiditis. this often causes hypothyroidism which is an under active thyroid. however it does not necessarily indicate a problem as long as the thyroid function as reflected in blood tests, remains normal
Follow-up: What does the thyroid is heterogeneous in nature with parenchymal septations mean? 55 minutes later
Yes Im awear of all that ,, what i need to know is why is it causeing the pain in my throat and in the XXXXXXX zone of my throat .. but mostlt my question asked wehat does this mean from my ultra sound " the thyroid is heterogeneous in nature with PARENCHYMAL SEPTATIONS IN PRESENT ???? please
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Follow up Detailed Answer: The 'parenchymal septations' is not a worrisome comment in the ultrasound report. It is the radiologist's description of thyroid tissue. It is unlikely the cause of the pain you are experiencing. Are you on thyroid medication? A temporary condition called 'subacute thyroiditis' however can give this ultrasound appearance along with pain in the front of the neck. Bloodwork further aids in the diagnosis. There is an elevated white cell count, ESR along with abnormal TSH and free T4 due to bruising of the thyroid gland. This sometimes requires symptomatic treatment for a few weeks till the condition resolves by itself