What does the test result "Hypoechoic splenic lesion, complex cyst versus hemangioma" mean?

Hi, Can you explain a little more about this result. My Dr doesn't seem at all concerned. What is a complex cyst and the lession? There is a complex lesion in the spleen measuring 1.0 x 0.9 0.9 cm. . There is no hydronephrosis. There is a simple left lower pole parapelvic cyst which measures 1.4 x 0.9 x 1.0 cm. Conclusion - Hypoechoic splenic lesion, complex cyst versus hemangioma. Advise a follow-up examination in 3-6 months for stability.
Posted Sun, 29 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Guru 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: Refer below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for consulting HealthcareMagic! Your report says that there is cyst or hemangioma (which is a kind of benign tumor) in spleen. Most of this type of lesions are asymptomatic and does not cause much harm. However, very very rarely, they may be serious(cancerous). Complex cyst means that the structure is irregular in nature does not necessarily mean it is complicated or serious. Follow up investigation to check the change in pattern of the lesion(a localized pathological change in a bodily organ or tissue) is necessary. A visit with gastroenterologist would help you get more clarified. Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have have any clarifications. If you like my answers and wish me to answer in future, bring it to my attention: Dr Vasanth. Url link is as follows: WWW.WWWW.WW Wish you good health!
Follow-up: What does the test result "Hypoechoic splenic lesion, complex cyst versus hemangioma" mean? 3 minutes later
Thx so much for your reply. Is this something that should be biopsied or have an MRI. Trying not to panic but is freaking me out a little. Would you advise the same course of action as in waiting 6 months to check? Also are cysts on spleens quiet common?
Answered by Dr. Guru 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: Refer below Detailed Answer: Hi, Biopsies are not helpful in these cases. CT and MRI are the only useful investigations particularly in these cases. There is nothing to worry. Yes, cysts of spleen are quite common and are benign almost all the time. More than waiting for 6 months, in order to get rid of your apprehension, I advise you to get a physical consultation and second opinion from a Surgical Gastroenterogist who is best to deal with these situations. Take care!