What does the presence of pus cells and epithelial cells in urine indicate?

Urologist
Question
Sir, i have 2-3/hpf pus cells and 1-2/hpf epithelial cells in urine. What does it indicate? Also, i have bilateral grade-I vericocele. Does it have any relation with urinary hesitance that i have?
Posted Sun, 16 Mar 2014 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Naveen Poola 1 hour later
Brief Answer: It indicates slight urine infection Detailed Answer: Hello, Thank You for consulting HealthcareMagic! It indicates that you have a minor urinary tract infection, which can easily be treated with an antibiotic course. Your varicocele problem usually is not related to this. Stay healthy and thank you for consulting! You can contact me again anytime, if you need clarifications or further assistance in future. Kindly rate the answer if you are satisfied.

Follow-up: What does the presence of pus cells and epithelial cells in urine indicate? 41 minutes later
Follow up question : 1. Is the vericocele problem also easily curable by medication? If not, is it likely to lead to erectile dysfunction / potency? 2. I have a problem since childhood where I have hesitation in urinating in public. Part of the problem according to me is psychological and part is that it takes some time for me to start urinating even if I m using my home toilet. Is it possible that this problem will be solved after I complete medication for urine infection?

Answered by Dr. Naveen Poola 31 hours later
Brief Answer: Refer below Detailed Answer: Hello, Thank You for follow up. I want to answer each of your question separately: 1. Is the varicocele problem also easily curable by medication? If not, is it likely to lead to erectile dysfunction / potency? Varicocele is not curable by medication. It requires surgical treatment, but treatment is required only in particular individuals who may have complications like infertility, etc. And, Varicocele does not lead to erectile dysfunction / potency I have a problem since childhood where I have hesitation in urinating in public. Part of the problem according to me is psychological and part is that it takes some time for me to start urinating even if I m using my home toilet. Is it possible that this problem will be solved after I complete medication for urine infection? As you have this problem since childhood, I do not think that it is related to urinary tract infection. You may need other investigations like ultrasound abdomen, urinary flow studies etc to identify the cause of problem. It may be due to social hesitation as well, but as you have the problem at home also, this needs to be evaluated. Stay healthy and thank you for consulting! You can contact me again anytime, if you need clarifications or further assistance in future. Kindly rate the answer if you are satisfied.