What does the painless red spot on penis indicate?

Hi, I just have an enquiry because I've recently noticed something obscure and new that I've never seen before on my penis which is very embarrassing. I'm currently seeing a girl and have been for 3 months and was diagnosed with chlamydia at the start of November and took the necessary treatment but I now seem to have a small single painless red spot on the underside of my foreskin, like I have to pull it back to see it. I've been researching heavily and I'm extremely worried about my health concerning possible syphilis, penile cancer, warts, herpes or even HIV. I'm only 20 years of age so as you can imagine I'm terrified because I think I might be dying, I haven't had any sexual contact with my partner for 3 weeks because I came back home from university and have remained faithful but I'll be seeing her next week and I'm already thinking having sex with her will be a bad idea especially with my worries because she hasn't even been tested since our chlamydia ordeal where we both refrained from each other for a week while on the medication. I plan on going to the sex clinic tomorrow to get tested for everything which I'm very scared about as I haven't told anyone about this which is putting me under a lot of pressure as I can't stop thinking about it really because I might be dying. Could the painless red spot be harmless or is it definitely an indication of a severe health risk?
Posted Tue, 21 Jan 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for sending in your query. Chlamydia is the commonest infection seen and it could be that you are infected with it again. In males there is unusual discharge of fluids from the penis with painful, burning or frequent urination. Many times people are infected with both Chlamydia and Gonorrhea at the same time, so make sure to get tested for both. In gonorrhoea there is thick whitish-yellow discharge, burning sensation with urination or painful/swollen testicles. A less likely possibility is trichomoniasis infection in which men have a thin, white discharge from their penis or painful urination. These symptoms are less often seen in patients. The bumps and blisters can be due to many causes including herpes. In Herpes infection blisters are formed that crust over and heal within a couple days. It need not be painful all the time. In infection by genital warts, the symptoms include small, hard, bumps that look like cauliflower on the area that was infected. They can vary in size and shape but are usually flesh colored and painless. In Syphilis, there are small sores formed on the penis which stay for about 1 - 5 weeks. There can be fluids in the sores. From the above you can see that possibility exists that you may be having one or more conditions (including chlamydia). It is important to consult your doctor and take necessary treatment at the earliest and also get your partner treated should they have any infection. I hope this helps. Do write back in case of doubts. Dr.A.Rao Kavoor
Follow-up: What does the painless red spot on penis indicate? 10 minutes later
So you're thinking that I definitely have something then and would you rule out HIV and penile cancer then or are they still possibilities? I definitely don't have gonorrhoea because I was re-tested in late December just because I noticed a couple small spots on the over foreskin which the doctor deemed to be 'skin tags' while my gonorrhoea test came back negative. I'm just going to get re-tested for chlamydia, HIV and syphillis because those are my main worries especially the latter two which are life changing really. Upon visualisation, the spot seems to have a white cover over the red surface so it may have 'crusted' like you said so could possibly be Herpes, but the only thing is it is just one on it's own single not like a group so was thinking it might be an ulcer? I'm going sex clinic tomorrow definitely anyway to find out what the problem is if there is any (I'm really hoping there isn't and would you recommend me telling her now rather than next week?)
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for writing in with an update. You are surely not having penile cancer. HIV is a disease which does not have any specific symptoms and needs to be ruled out though laboratory investigations. It's good that you are getting tested for chlamydia, herpes and syphilis. You really need to bu sure that you don't have them. Syphilitic ulcers are usually painless and herpes is very painful. The doctor having said skin tags on a earlier occasion signifies that genital warts can still be a possibility. Single or multiple does not matter. Even a sebaceous cyst in the penis can get infected and appear as you have written. This is a totally harmless condition. You may tell your partner later, after tomorrow after having visited your doctor and getting necessary tests done but before having sex. I hope this helps. Do write back in case of doubts. Dr.A.Rao Kavoor
Follow-up: What does the painless red spot on penis indicate? 19 minutes later
Wow, at least cancer is ruled out.. I will get tested for HIV which I beg I don't have, does the fact that my girlfriend is a nurse mean she's more likely to be exposed to different diseases and pass them on to me? MRSA etc. Well yeah, this ulcer is completely painless I just noticed it because it's become clearly visible like just out of place like a warning. I don't have any discharge from my penis or a burning sensation when I urinate, I feel perfectly fine but obviously that doesn't mean everything's ok. I was even very surprised to find out that I had chlamydia because I didn't show any of the clear signs or symptoms, as it was my first ever time getting tested but I'm thinking I caught it off my current partner because my sexual partner before her got tested and was fine. This ulcer though is the first clear symptom that's caught me off guard and got me clearly worried. Ahhh I see, well yeah those 2 little 'skin tags' haven't even gone away there's now about 4 which I just didn't worried about after what she told me but clearly they must be a problem unfortunately maybe genital warts like you said. N alright on the cyst, I'll see what the doctor, I just want to get back to being perfectly healthy as you can imagine. I will do, I'll make sure I get my results before telling her and will have to unfortunately refrain from having sex with her when I get back next week. Thanks for your help and understanding, I'm just overly worried.
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 11 hours later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for writing in with an update. Please do not worry about penile cancer. In general there is awareness of infections among health workers and the relative risk of transmission through your partner is very low. Please do not get worried. Once your condition is confirmed, you can discuss with your doctor and re think about having protected sex with your partner next week. I hope this helps. Do write back in case of doubts. Dr.A.Rao Kavoor