What does the inability to burp and associated choking discomfort signify? Treatment?

Question
what the inability to burp and associated chocking discomfort signify?How tt deal with the condition?
AFTER EATING FULL MEAL OR EVEN SMALL MEAL,IT GIVES A FEELING OF FULLNESS AND MOST OF THE TIME FOOD GETS REFLUXED WITH ASSOCIATED PROBLEM OF DIFFICULTY IN BELCHING WHICH CAUSES DISCOMFORT PHYSICALLY AND PSYCHOLOGICALLY.GET RELIEF AFTER A BURP.HAVE TO GO TO TOILET SEVERAL TIMES FOR NOT CLEARING MOTION PROPERLY.hAVE LITTLE PROBLEM OF GAS ALSO.
Posted Mon, 10 Sep 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 3 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
It seems like you have gastro-esophageal reflux disease with constipation or Irritable bowel syndrome. The latter is a diagnosis of exclusion. This is basically a condition where the muscle at the lower end of the food pipe becomes loose and the food and the acid then travels back to the food pipe. As of now, the following measures will help:
a. Eat small meals at short intervals. Try and eat every 2-3 hours
b. Avoid fried, spicy food, smoking and alcohol
c. Have an early dinner.
d. Elevate your head while sleeping. Either use 2-3 pillows or elevate the head side of your bed with bricks.
e. Have a high fibre diet. Take plenty of fruits and vegetables. Plenty of water ( like 3-4 litres) will also help.
f. you will need to see a physician for a course of proton pump inhibitors like omeprazole. This will significantly help your symptoms.
Please follow this for atleast 3-4 weeks and let me know if you're feeling better.
Do let me know if I can address any more concerns

Follow-up: What does the inability to burp and associated choking discomfort signify? Treatment? 6 hours later
Thanks for the reply. But I m already taking care of everything that has been advised by u. Plz let me know as to what causes inability to burp and the associated feeling of chocking. How to get rid of this situation?there is no acid in reflux normally but only food particles. There is no acute constipation either but bowel movement takes time. Plz enlighten me.

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 11 minutes later
Thanks for writing back.
That feeling would be caused by an excessive gas formation. This can be due to a peptic ulcer or any of the lifestyle factors that I had told you to address. The only way we can know whether you have an ulcer or not, is by doing a endoscopy. Also, we would need to do a urea breath test or a stool antigen test as well ( to check for H. pylori)
Even if you do have reflux of food, it is abnormal and it needs treatment. I want to specifically know if you're taking any omeprazole or any other drug for this.
As far as the bowel movement is concerned, a high fibre diet with 5-6 servings of fruits and vegetables is required for everyone. Also plenty of water is also advisable. This helps maintain a normal bowel movement.
Awaiting your reply