What does swollen upper eye lid with itching indicate?

I have a swollen upper eye's tearing and a bit gooey in the cornor..started out itching... what do I do? took benadryl last night, I see no difference
Posted Sun, 23 Feb 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: Allergic or Infective conjunctivitis Detailed Answer: Hi, It looks like you just started with conjunctivitis and these are initial symptoms. I suggest you to use OCUHIST drop one drop every 2 hours in the eye for one day, it takes care of allergy induced conjunctivitis. You can add Sudafed/Actifed tablet to it thrice a day. If it does not help then most likely bacterial organism causing it. I suggest antibiotic eye drops. Then it needs a prescription from your doctor. If you do not wish to wait for a day you can go to the doctor right away for a prescription. Along with them the general measures like these are important too 1) Hot fomentation with warm cloth 2) Eye glasses if you go out 3) Rest at home 4) Use two different vials for two eyes. Hope this is clear