What does swelling of lips indicate?

Jan 2014

I seem to have recurring problem of the swelling of the lips . What is this symptomatic of ?
Posted Fri, 24 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: Angioedema, Need nore information Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for posting your concern at XXXXXXX I would keep a possibility of Angioedema. I would like to gather some more information from you regarding your concern in order to be able to help you better. -Since how long do you have this problem? -Are you on some oral medications? Painkillers? Anti-hypertensives? -Do you also suffer from Hives/Urticaria? -Does anybody else in your family has the same problem? take care regards
Follow-up: What does swelling of lips indicate? 28 minutes later
1) I have had the issue on & off for about 2 months. Yes it goes away within 24 hours. 2) re medication. - Yes. I forgot to mention in my earlier question that I have elevated blood pressure & slightly elevated cholesterol. Daily medication as follows: A) one tablet daily Coversyl4mg, Perindopril Erbumine 4mg B)On tablet daily Novo-Amlodipine Besylate 10mg C) One tablet daily Teva-Rosvastatin 5mg, Rosuvastatin Calcium 5mg -3)No I do not suffer from hives/Urticaria 4) No one in my family suffers from the same problem
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: ACE inhibitors might be the implicating cause Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for the additional information. ACE inhibitors are one of the common cause of Angioedema. You have been on Perindopril which is an ACE inhibitor!! I would advice that you see your doctor and request him/her to change the ACE inhibitors to something else since ACE inhibitors are a well known cause of Angioedema. I hope that will address the issue. take care regards