What does swelling in the groin area indicate?

Oncologist, Surgical
I am a 69 year old male. I have swollen areas left axillary, left supra clavicle, left groin. Swollen areas are large. All blood work is normal...chest xray normal...ct scan chest, abdominal, pelvic all normal with no swollen lymph nodes anywhere. No palpable nodes in any of the three swollen areas. No B symptoms at all. no sweats etc. First presentation 8 weeks ago with left axillary and supra clavicle swelling and then 6 weeks later the left groin area swelling. All swollen areas popped up overnight no gradual.swelling..I feel good and have no other symptoms. Swollen areas are not tender and feel just very soft like fat. MRI normal no swollen nodes. What is going on?
Posted Wed, 19 Mar 2014 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Krishna Kiran Kannepalli 3 hours later
Brief Answer: What did the doctor say? Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for the query. I would like to know whether you have visited a doctor and what he feels about these swellings. It is very difficult to tell without actually looking at them and palpating them. A photograph can probably help. They could some kind of a rash or lipomas, but these are wild guesses. Please provide more details and I would be happy to answer you back.
Follow-up: What does swelling in the groin area indicate? 7 hours later
The doctor is a GP and has no idea what this is. Lipoma? Sarcolipoma? Lymphoma? The mass under my left armpit is about the size of a baseball. As I said before there is nothing in these masses to palpitate. Just feels like very soft fatty tissue As you may be aware Lymphoma sometimes presents this way (no palpable nodes). I asked for an oncologist...are you an oncologist? The only two things not yet done to investigate this is a Pet scan or a biopsy of the soft tissue. I read one Doctors comment that swelling at the supra clavicle in someone my age is 90% of the time cancer. I have an appointment with Sansum Clinic on 3/18. Just wondered what a oncologist would think.
Answered by Dr. Krishna Kiran Kannepalli 10 hours later
Brief Answer: Biopdu/Fnac (needle cytology) is needed Detailed Answer: Hi.thanks for the query. I am a surgical oncologist.The size you have mentioned is significant but since you have no other symptoms,you can wait till the date. A GP can tell if it is a lymph node or not. In any case, 2 weeks of waiting should probably do no harm.