What does swelling and pain on knees indicate?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hello Dr. This is XXXX, i have some problem on my left Knee, when i wake up in the morning i sat in the floor and i felt lil bit pain and there is some swelling on knee left and right in the knee. from that day its been one week, i feel lil pain when i am siting in the floor. but swelling is still there. when i am standing swelling cant see, in the position of siting in the floor then only i can see swelling. i check with Ortho. he said its initial stage of Arthritis. What can i do know, how can i cure this problem fully....
Posted Fri, 28 Mar 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: Description below Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. Considering your age and your present complaints, you might be suffering from arthritis of patella. In early stages it presents as painful initiation of movement of knee and later on subsides during routine work. This condition is called as Chondromalacia patellae. Generally physiotherapy for your quadriceps muscle with straight leg raising and knee mobilisation will improve your muscle strength and will decrease the progression of arthritis. Life style modifications like avoiding stairs, squatting, sitting cross legged & cycling will also help in reducing your symptoms. Reducing weight is of prime importance if you are overweight. If the pain is severe, you can take few doses of NSAID's or physiotherapic modalities like IFT to relieve your pain. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care
Follow-up: What does swelling and pain on knees indicate? 49 minutes later
Thank you dr. for advice, kindly suggest me some exercise , and diet.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Take diet rich in calcium, vitamin d3 and minerals Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, You can do quadriceps exercises simply by Straight-Leg Raises: Sitting in a chair, rest your foot on another chair. Lift the foot a few inches off the chair while keeping your leg straight. Hold for 5 -10 seconds. Return to resting position. Repeat 5 -10 times. Take diet rich in calcium, vitamin d3 and minerals. Hope this discussion was useful. Please close this discussion, if you do not have any other queries. I would appreciate your reviews about this service.