What does "stable blunting of the left costophrenic angle plural thicking" mean?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2014
May 2014
Excellent

Radiologist
Question
what does: stable blunting of the left costophrenic angle plural thicking or plural fusion mean
Posted Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX Thanks for writing in to us. I have read through your query in detail. Stable blunting of the left costophrenic angle - pleural thickening or pleural effusion signifies that your X ray chest shows that on the left side, where the chest wall a d diaphragm meet, along the side outwards, that area is not sharp as seen normally. This has two possibilities, either there is thickening of pleura which is the lung covering or little amount of fluid (pleural effusion)between the lungs and pleura. The word stable has been used to show that it hasnt changed probably over time since you had an earlier chest X ray. Your chest X ray findings must be compared with your pneumonia and other clinical problems. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek

Follow-up: What does "stable blunting of the left costophrenic angle plural thicking" mean? 1 hour later
I did have pneumonia five years ago, along with costo pain off and on. I was discharged with the plural effusion, and they said it would go away on its own, but I always seen this is follow up xrays, along with hyper inflation of the lungs. One lung collapsed, they were worried about the other one, but both seemed to bounce back, but I never felt the same. It seems after I finished taking prednisone for lupus, that the cough came back. hence, I was sent off for another chest xray not sure what this means... COPD? do they drain the plural area? is this an out patient procedure?>

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX Thanks for writing back with an update. From what you write, I feel the blunting of left costophrenic angle is due to pleural thickening. I am saying this because it has been there for a while and you had pleural effusion earlier. Please do not worry as it is nothing serious. When a person has pleural effusion, months later there is pleural thickening in some patients even after disease is cured. Presently your chest X ray findings need to be compared with earlier ones and I think that is what is mentioned as stale. It is unlikely that you are having a pleural effusion now, however if the cough persists and your condition is not improving, a CT scan chest may be done to confirm findings. The COPD means chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and is due to certain changes in the smaller airways. If you still have any breathing difficulties then consulting a pulmonologist is suggested. If there is significant pleural effusion with breathing difficulty then drainage is recommended which can be a single day out patient procedure or patient may need to stay in hospital for few days depending on the cause and amount of fluid accumulated. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek