What does spotting after sex indicate and can I continue having sex and trying for a baby?

Mar 2013
Hi doc we are trying for baby and my wife is also taking elevit multivitamin for last 2 months , we are having regular sex and now for last 2 days wife wife has observed some spotting and it has not been more than 6 days after her last periods can you suggest us something , should we go from some checkup or test just to rule out any other problem We are both in age group of 30 and last period were from 16th till 21st December We don't know now should we continue having sex as the spotting is there or should wait and consult someone about it . Thx very much Regards XXXX
Posted Sun, 19 Jan 2014 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: CAN BE OVULATORY SPOTTING, BETTER TO CONSULT Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. The days correspond with her probable days of ovulation, if she has been having regular cycles. SO it could be mid cycle ovulatory spotting. Spotting after sex can be due to a cervical polyp, erosion or growth on the cervix. However, since this has not happened before, and is only the first time, I do not think this is the reason. Rarely, spotting after a period can indicate a miscarriage or an ectopic pregnancy. What you can do is continue having sex, and trying for a baby. Meanwhile, you should also consult a gynecologist. She should undergo an internal check up - per speculum and per vaginum. Also, a pelvic ultrasound scan done transvaginally. This will tell you if she is ovulating, or some other pathology is present. All the best. Please feel free to ask further follow up questions. Take care.