What does "solid noduals are consitent with fibrodenomas" mean?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2014
Apr 2014
Excellent

Radiologist
Question
Hello I have already asked a couple of drs this but I am looking for a radiologist to look at my Ultrasound and just give a general impression - nothing that I will hold anyone to but I dont have any radiologist comments on the report. I have to decide whether to spend $ and I need some comment from a radiologist as to what they can see ? Not a diganosis per se but what do you see ? I have read all about the fatty helium etc but of course I dont know what I am looking at . Please can you tell me if or what you see from this ? Previous submission attached Hi I have had a diagnostic mamo and us and now follow up ultrasound, Report says still believes several solid noduals are consitent with fibrodenomas. Then there is just another line that says 3cm axillary lymph node. The report six months ago says 1.6 cm lymph node. The radiologist has not put any BIRAD score or suggested follow up and the breast surgeon linked to the hospital is on maternity leave with no replacement. I am going out of my mind with worry . Should I worry that it says 3cm axillary lymph node ? I looked this up - this is not a normal size ? I cant see the breast surgeon till she gets back but I dont know whether to financially expose myself and see a new surgeon on a whim that it ' may ' be something. Can someone please tell me what I should be looking for ? PS I have tried the radiologist and they dont let me speak to them so I am a standstill. Advice would be appreciated thankyou
Posted Wed, 12 Feb 2014 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer: You have fibroadenomas and only need follow up. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing to us I have gone through your history and images in detail. There is no need to worry. You have multiple nodules suggestive of multiple fibroadenomas in your right breast and there is enlarged axillary lymph node. This is the most common benign condition of breast and it is found in many females. You can have biopsy for confirmation of nature of nodule. Further treatment plan depend upon patient choice and doctor advice.Surgical removal depend upon abnormal biopsy report,associated pain and doubtful about cancer. Your doctor has given you right suggestion.You should have follow up scan for fibroadenoma.Your condition belongs to BI-RADS category 2. You don't worry about enlarged axillary lymph node.It is the cause of concern in malignant findings in the breast.You don't have any doubtful findings.You are already clinically examined and have positive radiological findings. Next you can have biopsy for confirmation. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: What does "solid noduals are consitent with fibrodenomas" mean? 12 hours later
Thank you . So you do not see any concerns with the lymph node in isolation ? I read it should not be 3cm so I am concerned why it is - separate from the breast issues ? I do not have any infections or swelling or any reason for it to have grom from 1.6 - 3cm . Thank you

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please find detail answer below. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing back You need proper clinical examination of lymph node. Most likely enlarged lymph node is not related to fibroadenoma because it is a benign condition and doesn't cause enlarged lymph node unless fibroadenoma is causing some sort of infection in the breast. It is important to examine consistency of lymph node,fixity to adjacent structures etc.Hard in consistency and fixed to muscles indicates malignant possibility. For confirmation of its nature,biopsy of enlarged lymph node can be done along with breast mass biopsy. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: What does "solid noduals are consitent with fibrodenomas" mean? 2 hours later
Hello Do you see anything abnormal on the ultrasound about the lymph node other than it is 3cm ?

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 7 hours later
Brief Answer: USG doesn't give more information other than size Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing back Ultrasound doesn't give more information other than the size of size of lymph node. Biopsy is the choice for confirming its nature. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: What does "solid noduals are consitent with fibrodenomas" mean? 14 minutes later
Thank you - that was actually very useful and lets me know I should get a biopsy done even if it will end up costying me money , its best to be safe. Thank you and have a nice day

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 13 hours later
Brief Answer: FNAC/Biopsy is a very short procedure. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing back FNAC/Biopsy is a very short procedure and it wouldn't cost too much. Don't worry.It is done only for confirmation.This will relieve your anxiety also. It is a safe procedure.You should confirm your clotting profile before any procedure. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX