What does small greyish lump on anal rim indicate?

General Surgeon
Hi, I have noticed a small soft, greyish lump on the left of my anal rim. It's not inflamed and its painless
Posted Thu, 23 Jan 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 37 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hemorrhoid. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Such lump is usually a hemorrhoid. Due to constipation, increased pressure in the rectum, veins in this area get distended. This causes a painless lump inside or outside the anus. It can get larger or smaller depending of the stool condition (with hard stool it gets larger). You may also notice bright red blood on the surface of the stool and on the toilet paper. To keep this hemorrhoid in good condition, you should avoid constipation, improve your diet and do not push hard on stool. In case of bleeding or pain, please consult surgeon and consider surgery. Please also note that every person over the age of 50 (without symptoms) should have colonoscopy done every 10 years. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.
Follow-up: What does small greyish lump on anal rim indicate? 7 minutes later
Thank you. Will it go away on its own or should I have treatment?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 4 minutes later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: It wont go away by its own. Any available treatment (like OTC hemorrhoids suppositories) should be used only in case of inflammation. No medicine will make it disappear. Suppositories can make it a little bit smaller. Only permanent solution is surgery. So as long as it does not cause any discomfort, pain, bleeding, all you need to do is to keep your stool soft and regular. In case of any symptoms, suppositories can be used and surgery should be considered. Regards.