What does small dent in the center-right side of the forehead indicate?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
It's been this way for a few years now, but when it started out it was just a small dent in the center-right side of my forehead. Now it goes from a little below my hairline, all the way down to just above and to the left of my eyebrow!
Posted Wed, 19 Mar 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: There is no need to worry about the dent. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query and the clinical photograph. I have gone through them. First of all, I would like to reassure you that there is no need to worry about the dent, as it does not signify any serious illness. Most often, the dent does not produce any symptoms. If you develop any headache, a CT scan may be done, otherwise there is no need for any investigations or treatment. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in

Follow-up: What does small dent in the center-right side of the forehead indicate? 12 minutes later
Sir, Actually the thing which am really worried about is, it is neither observed from birth(i mean childhood) nor it is observed on both sides of the forehead, so sometimes i feel that some part of my head is scooped out with a spoon, this might be funny but it is true. I feel worried when my friends point it out. I don't know whom to consult. Is there any medication for this problem.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 minutes later
Brief Answer: I agree with you. Detailed Answer: Thank you for getting back. I agree with you that it came on much later (after birth) and the fact that it is noticeable to your friends (and to you in mirror). However, this dent does not produce any untoward effect on the brain, so, there is no need for any treatment. However, in some cases, when the dent is due to head injury, it may press on the underlying brain, which would require treatment (this is not the case with you). I hope it helps. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: What does small dent in the center-right side of the forehead indicate? 14 minutes later
Sir I feel the treatment is needed very badly because I feel very much embarrassed. So, I want to know whether medication is possible or not ? If possible Which type of doctor should I consult? Is the medication for this problem simple ?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 minutes later
Brief Answer: Only surgery can correct this dent. Detailed Answer: Thank you for getting back. There are no medicines to make the dent disappear. If you are embarrassed about it, then, surgery can be done to elevate the skull bone and make the dent disappear. It can be done by a neurosurgeon or a plastic surgeon. So, you can consult a neurosurgeon or a plastic surgeon. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)