What does "small cell neuroendocrine carcinoma in left lung" indicate?

hi doc, my father is diagnosed with small cell neuroendocrine carcinoma in left lung - limited stage one month back. his lung xray was completely ok one year back. and this time doc see lung mass and found it lung cancer. 1) is it curable, what should be its treatment?
Posted Mon, 24 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Cure is not gaunrenteed Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. I am sorry to say that the time by which the cancer shows up in CT scan it would have already metastasized to other parts in the body making it not curable. Only in the initial stages where only the bronchial washings show the malignancy but absent in CT scan can have chances of recovery with treatments like Radiotherapy. Though the chances of recovery are less, I still do recommend radiotherapy for your father. This may increase the life expectancy, as survival rates are seen improving with radiotherapy in some even in late stages. Wish you good health. Regards,
Follow-up: What does "small cell neuroendocrine carcinoma in left lung" indicate? 16 hours later
hi doc, I wanted to know why the disease symptom observed so late, why it could not be diagnosed at earlier father was absolutely fine till nov end 2013, in december hoarness occured in his voice after two weeks of which he felt left chest pain at night on 21st dec and was taken to heart institude. doctors got his cect chest done and told of lung come a healthy person gets diagnosed with such a fatal disease in just one month of symptoms and never before?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 days later
Brief Answer: Its initially asymptomatic Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing back. Small cell cancer of the lung most of times is asymptomatic in the early stage. Unfortunately symptoms appear only after it has spread. Only in some cases where people go for regular health check up with CT scan of lung may present it as an incidental finding. Also the tumor is microscopic most of its progression, until it spreads. Regards,