What does "slight impression without lateral canal stenosis ridging present at C2-3 etc' mean in MRI?

May 2014

I had a mri done and the results are that I have ridging present ai the level C5-6 without cord effacement or lateral same thing at C4-5 level and C3-4 level with broad-base right central protrusion, cord effacement, and slight impression without lateral canal stenosis ridging present at C2-3 level without cord effacement or lateral what does that really mean
Posted Sat, 4 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for writing in to us. I have read through your query in detail. The cervica (neck) spine consitis of 7 small bones (vertebra) aligned on top of each other with spongy discs in between two vertebra. The spinal cord runs behind the bones through the spinal canal. There are pairs of nerves supplying the neck and arms passing through small holes between bones (neural foramen) on either side. With age, the bones may develop small outgrowths which can cause pressure symptoms on the nerves which cause pain. Even the discs get degenerated with advancing age and get bulged backwards and can even get fragmented. This will cause direct pressure on the covering of spinal cord and results in pain. Discussing your MRI results: 1. At C5-6 disc level, there is little bony growth due to aging. Apart from this there is no other problem concerning nerves or disc. 2. At C4-5 disc level also the nerves are fine and there is little degenerative bone changes. 3. At C3-4 disc level, there is the disc bulging backwards and slightly more towards the right. This is causing mild pressure on the covering of the spinal cord but there is no press on the nerves laterally (sidewards). 4. At C2-3 disc level there is degenerative changes again without any pressure on the spinal cord of nerves. I believe your pain is mainly because of the disc problem at C3-4 level. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek