What does slight bilirubin increase indicate?

Hello, I recently had a metabolic panel done, and I have a quick question about the results. Kidney function and electrolytes are normal. Liver was normal with AST of 36, and ALT of 41. The concern that I have is that my total bilirubin is a touch high at 1.5, when the high range for normal on this test is 1.4. I'm male, 35 years old, 6 foot, 210 lbs. No symptoms to speak of other than the occasional loose stool. Should I be concerned with the bilirubin amount? Or is that something that can fluctuate out of the normal range without underlying issues?
Posted Thu, 30 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: Get LFT repeated after 1 week. Detailed Answer: Dear Friend Welcome to XXXXXXX I understand your concern. A slight increase in Total bilirubin is usually not a matter of concern specially the value you have got. However , if Indirect bilirubin is more than direct bilirubin , it might be due to some inherited conditions like XXXXXXX syndrome. So I would suggest you to get a repeat complete Liver Function Test after a few days and share the report with us. Also if you consume alcohol you should avoid it. Review with us with a fresh complete liver function test after 1 week. I hope I am able to answer your query , still if you have any query ask me.
Follow-up: What does slight bilirubin increase indicate? 7 minutes later
Thank you for your reply. My general practitioner wants to check the values again after 1month. He wasn't concerned with the results, but wanted to make sure that it went down into the normal range. He suggested a low fat diet, and limiting alcohol intake to very little/none.
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 53 minutes later
Brief Answer: He is right. Detailed Answer: Dear Friend Don't worry. As I have suggested you too stop alcohol consumption and repeat LFT after few days. If you don't have any further query , you may please close the discussion and rate it.