What does "single punctate area of increased T2 signal.."mean?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
42 years of age. Had a single seizure. Normal blood work, ct scan and eeg. MRI with and without contrast was normal too but on the results of the MRI the following was found..."single punctate area of increased T2 signal intensity involving the right frontal subcortical white matter of unclear significance". Can this be concerning? Thank you
Posted Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 7 hours later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. First of all, I would like to reassure you that your MRI brain report does not represent any serious brain disease. The finding is non-specific and commonly occurs in people with migraine. Also, in people with high BP, it can occur due to ischemia (lack of blood flow to brain). In your case, it does not represent any specific disease, and also, is not connected to your single seizure episode. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in

Follow-up: What does "single punctate area of increased T2 signal.."mean? 14 hours later
Thank you for your response...considering this first seizure was unprovoked, what is the likelihood of recurrent seizures for me?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: About 50% Detailed Answer: Thank you for getting back. After the first episode of unprovoked seizure, about half (50%) people get recurrence of seizures, and most of those recurrences occur within the first six months of the first seizure. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: What does "single punctate area of increased T2 signal.."mean? 48 minutes later
Thank you for your response...percentage is that high even in my individual case? considering age of first seizure and normal tests?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: Percentage is for group of people. Detailed Answer: Thank you for getting back. If there are hundred people like you, 50 of them would get a recurrence of seizure, making it a percentage of 50%. For a single patient, it is either 100% or 0%, depending on whether or not he has a seizure. So, for you, it is either 0% or 100%, and I hope it is the former. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)