What does single non-specific focus of T2 white matter hyper intensity in the lateral left frontal lobe mean?

Excellent

Neurologist
Question
Hi 31 female. What does this mean: single non-specific focus of T2 white matter hyper intensity in the lateral left frontal lobe. no areas of restriction diffusion are seen.
Posted Sat, 28 Jul 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 22 minutes later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations regarding the symptoms you are experiencing.

Regarding the MRI findings mentioned to me with the back ground history of migraine, I would like to inform you that these are non-specific, bright signals seen in the white matter of the brain on T2 MRI sequence. Such findings are common in people with problems like migraine and does not have any clinical relevance. Also these do not require any investigations or treatments.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you find my response to be both helpful and adequate.

If you have any additional concerns regarding your question I would be happy to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist.

Follow-up: What does single non-specific focus of T2 white matter hyper intensity in the lateral left frontal lobe mean? 9 minutes later
hi thank you for your answer and reassurance. my migraines have not been heavy at all in the last few years. is it still ok that i have this?

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 1 hour later
Hello

Thanks for the follow up query

Regarding the migraine and the MRI abnormality, there is no relationship between the severity of the headache and the changes seen on the MRI. So I feel you should not be worried about these changes on the MRI.

Sincerely,

Dr Shiva Kumar R