What does "sella turcika intact" mean?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2014
Apr 2014

Radiologist
Question
Hi doctor. I have a question regarding Sella Turcica. what does it mean if the result of Sella Turcica L-L is "sella turcika intak."? .... this is the only result that i had in my medical report. is it something to be concerned of?
Posted Mon, 10 Feb 2014 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 34 minutes later
Brief Answer: Intact Sella turcica is a normal finding. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing to us Sella turcica is a saddle shaped depression in the sphenoid bone of human skull. It contains master gland of human body i.e pituitary gland. Your report mention that Sella turcica is intact.This is a normal finding.There is nothing to be worried about. Sella turcica may be involved due to pathology in pituitary gland.It may be deformed due to tumour of pituitary gland,other pathology involving pituitary gland etc. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: What does "sella turcika intact" mean? 4 minutes later
Tumor is what scares me more....what do you suggest me to do in this circumstances? Do you recommend me to make any further examination? I forgot to mention that from time to time i have strong headaches....not permanent but kind of crisis...

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 18 minutes later
Brief Answer: You should consult neurologist. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing back MRI of brain is the investigation of choice to detect pituitary gland abnormality,so you can go for it. You don't worry.Headache is due to many reasons like tension,sinusitis,migraine,eye/neck problem etc. I suggest you to first consult neurologist for headache.You need proper clinical examination. Tumour of pituitary gland is associated with many other features like vision problem etc,so don't get scared.Please consult neurologist. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: What does "sella turcika intact" mean? 18 minutes later
Thank you very much doctor. I will do as soon as i can a visit to the neurologist and a MRI brain.

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 minute later
Brief Answer: You are most welcome. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing back You are most welcome. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX