What does protruding vein on the jaw indicate?

Yesterday after eating I heard a faint pop in my jaw followed by just a tiny bit of pain. I went to check it out in the mirror to find what looked to be a vein slightly protruding outward on the inside of my mouth in that area of my jaw. It's unnoticable most of the time. I only remember it's there when I chew certain things or when I make the fish face(not sure if you're familiar with that). What do you think could have happened?
Posted Wed, 12 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 39 minutes later
Brief Answer: Its a salivary gland duct opening. Detailed Answer: Hello, The structure marked in picture is salivary duct opening and nothing abnormal.You notice it when you chew things because at that time saliva is secreted and opening becomes prominent. And for the pop sound , sometimes you get such sound due to gliding of cartilage within the jaw joint.And even that is not to be worried about if not causing any symptoms. Hope this helps.Please ask if there are doubts.Regards.
Follow-up: What does protruding vein on the jaw indicate? 3 hours later
So how long would you say it takes for the opening to return to normal? I'd appreciate not accidentally scraping it with my teeth.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 1 minute later
Brief Answer: 2-4 weeks Detailed Answer: A inflammation should resolve in 2-4 weeks.