What does "prominent pelvicalyceal system noted on both kidney" mean?

while taking scan report - prominent pelvicalyceal system noted on both kidney for 23 week baby and Transpelvic diameter measures 4.9mm on both side. Is it problem for baby? Gender - no idea.anyway for time being selecting as "Male"
Posted Thu, 20 Feb 2014 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 39 minutes later
Brief Answer: It is called as pelviectasis Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX It means that your baby has bilateral pelviectasis (very mild). It is so mild that some doctors may not even consider it pelviectasis. It is a very common condition in babies, more frequently seen in male babies. It means that the transpelvic diameter is between 4 and 10 mm. Now I will explain the anatomy so that you better understand it. Pelvis is that part of the urinary system that exits out from the kidney and the urine flows into the ureter, then into urinary bladder and then urethra. When there is some obstruction to the urine outflow, the urine may stagnate and dilate the pelvis. Since your baby has dilatation on both sides, the obstruction may be below the level of urinary bladder that is in urethra. Now the good news is that mostly it resolves with time. You will need a repeat ultrasound at around 32 to 34 weeks to see the status of the transpelvic diameter. If it is less than 7 mm, then it is normal. After birth he may be advised antibiotics to prevent urinary infections if the diameter is more than 10 mm. In India it is not compulsory but in some countries it is a rule to give antibiotics for one month. The antibiotic that is prescribed is trimethoprim 2 mg/kg once a day. After birth the ultrasound will be done at 2 - 3 day after birth, 6 week of age and then every 6 months depending on the degree of pelviectasis. Mostly it will not harm the baby unless the transpelvic diameter is more than 10 mm or there is reflux of urine. Hope it helps. Let me know if I can assist you further. Dr Vaishalee
Follow-up: What does "prominent pelvicalyceal system noted on both kidney" mean? 4 minutes later
Great. Thanks a lot for detailed answers
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 4 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thanks Detailed Answer: Thanks for consulting me. Take care Dr Vaishalee