What does progressive type I degenerative endplate signal alteration involving superior endplate C-7 mean?

i was diagnosed with progressive Modic type I degerenative endplate signal alteration is demonstrated involving the superior endplate of C-7.... I do not understand this language, can u help me. C6-7 show mild effacement to the anterior subarachnoid space, also several disc protrusions, and fissures. L5-S1 disiccation, contact with the S1 nerve root, and slight impression on the ventral margin of the tecal sac. In my lower back I have DDD, is this the same as facet hypertrophy?
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 3 hours later

Regarding the Modic type I degenerative signal alteration, Modic changes, a common observation in Magnetic resonant imaging, are signal intensity changes in vertebral body marrow, adjacent to the endplates of degenerative discs. Type I indicates bone marrow edema. When slip disc occurs it can press on the adjacent structures like the subarachnoid space which surrounds the spinal cord and the roots which emerge from cord.

Regarding the Desiccation in L5-S1 vertebra, desiccation means drying out. So, in layman's terms, the disc in the lowest part of the lumbar spine has dried out, which means that it is less able to provide cushioning from the bones during movement. DDD means degenerative disc disease which is also called as spondylosis.

So to put in simple words you have early spondylosis of the cervical and the lumbar regions without any impingement of the nerves. Only conservative treatment if warranted in this stage like medications and physiotherapy.

I thank you again for submitting the query. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Dr Shiva Kumar R