What does "progestin levels at 2,000" during pregnancy indicate?

My wife is currently pregnant she missed her period 15 days ago she had her first blood work done last friday her test came back showing her progestin levels are at 2,000 does that mean she is at risk for a mis carriage?
Posted Sun, 9 Mar 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Saul Weinreb 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Normal, Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for using HCM, I would love to help Those levels are within normal range, even if they are slightly low. many women with those levels carry the baby without a problem. studies have shown that we can't correlate well progesterone levels with risk of miscarriage. it turns out that when the levels are high we can certainly rule out progesterone deficiency as a possible problem, but when levels are lower we really can't say if a woman is at risk. However, if there are other reasons to believe that someone may have low progesterone, such as a history of previous miscarriages, we may supplement progesterone just to try and prevent miscarriage, even though this intervention hasn't really been proven to work. I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any more questions. Regards