What does progesterone level of 450 indicate?

Mar 2013
I am 5 weeks and 6 days pregnant. I know it to be this exact because I had IVF. I had a frozen blastocyst transferred on 14th January 2014. My hCG levels were 5,000 on 29 January 36,000 today (05 February) I know they are meant to double every 48 hours - and even though mine has gone up, it hasn't doubled. Are these figure OK? I also had a progesterone blood test today and the nurse said my levels were 450 What does that mean? How do they measure progesterone and are these levels OK? (I am on progesterone injections) Lastly - I am having a transvaginal scan at 6 weeks and 6 days - they should be able to hear a heartbeat by then should't they? Thanks
Posted Tue, 25 Feb 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: LEVELS ARE FINE, BEST TO RELY ON THE SCAN. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. Congratulations !!!! That is the only word applicable right now :) See, the doubling occurs every 48 hours. So from 5000 on 29th January, it should be 10000 on 31st and then 20000 on the 2nd and around 40000 by the 5th. These are not rigid mathematical rules, and each woman experiences differences in the B HCG level exhibited. B HCG levels are NOT a reliable indicator of a successful ongoing pregnancy. Nor are progesterone levels, and yours have no bearing as you are on injections, so they would affect the results. Yes, at 6 weeks of a normal intra uterine pregnancy, cardiac activity is visible on transvaginal scanning. So all the best with that, and use the ultrasound as the gold standard for assessing whether the pregnancy is on track or not. All the best. Take care.
Follow-up: What does progesterone level of 450 indicate? 16 minutes later
If the progesterone levels bear no indication then why did the doctor request I have this measured? Because on 29 January I had the doctor confirms my pregnancy- they gave me a blood test and measured my hCG and progesterone levels. I bled very lightly yesterday (brown spotting) - I called the doctors and they said to come in today to have another blood test to check all was looking ok. If the progesterone levels bear no indication then why did the doctor request I have this measured? Was the blood test pointless or should I be re-assured by it?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: EXPLAINED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hi again. Progesterone levels , like HCG, rise in a normal pregnancy. However, Progesterone levels rise much differently than hCG levels, with an average of 1-3ng/ml every couple days until they reach their peak for that trimester. In situations when there is a concern of an ectopic pregnancy or miscarriage, HCG levels will often start out normal, but will not show a significant increase or will stop rising all together, and progesterone levels will be low from the beginning. Please provide me the units in which the progesterone levels were measured also. You just mentioned spotting now, so it makes sense, as both progesterone and HCG values when measured serially provide some indication of the growth of the pregnancy. Hence, when the repeat blood work is done tomorrow, the comparative values will provide more information. It is nowhere as reliable as an ultrasound scan , that is the only objective and foolproof way to know if the pregnancy is fine. Barring that, as it is too early to go for scanning, you have been asked to have the hormones measured.
Follow-up: What does progesterone level of 450 indicate? 1 minute later
Unfortunately I do not know what levels the progesterone was measured in. The nurse just said 450 (not much use!) I am not having repeat blood work tomorrow I had blood work on 29 January and then again today 05 February So will they be comparing the results from that 29 XXXXXXX appointment? I know that if something looked wrong the doctor would have said I just can't help but panic I have to wait another week for the scan and I am scared they won't find a heartbeat - so i was trying to analyse all the numbers I could..... i know that i just have to wait until the scan but all this waiting is terribly difficult! Thank you for your answers
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: EXPLAINED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hi Different labs use different measurement units. If they did not call you and say that something was wrong, it was not. Also, progesterone was not measured twice, so it would not provide much information. I can understand about your anxiety, so I would say that the HCG levels are reassuring. The only way to know is the scan. You have waited through the period of cysts ( if this is the same person who had that previous conversation with me ), then waited through the transfer period ( where you were in doubt about downregulation again if I am correct ), so please wait for another week to be reassured. All the best.