What does presence of fetal pole but no cardiac activity indicate in an ultrasound?

Mar 2016

I am 8 week pregnant ,recently i have an ultrasound for fetal viability, it showed fetal pole but no cardiac activity and also gestational age is shown as six weeks,please tell me is my baby viable.
Posted Sat, 8 Feb 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: MISSED ABORTION SHOULD BE RULED OUT. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us on healthcare magic. Followings are my comments: 1) Abdominal ultrasound scan can detect fetal pole and heart beat around 7 to 8 weeks. However, Trans Vaginal Ultrasound (TVS) scan reveals Fetal Heart Beat around 5 to 6 weeks of gestational age. On 8th weeks pregnancy, NO cardiac heart beat is NOT a good sign of healthy pregnancy. Sometimes, late conception may be the cause of delayed detection of fetal heart beat. Though, it is seen in very few percentage only. 2) Your clinical features and ultrasound scan report is more suggestive of MISSED MISCARRIAGE. It is more relevant in this context. However, it is better to repeat the TVS scan next week before undergoing abortion procedure. Kindly, consult with your gynecologist regarding this and you should prepare for this mentally. Hope, it helps for your information. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query. Wish your good health and take care yourself. Regards, Dr Soumen For future query, you can directly approach me through WWW.WWWW.WW
Follow-up: What does presence of fetal pole but no cardiac activity indicate in an ultrasound? 8 minutes later
If I repeat the Trans Vaginal Ultrasound( TVS) scan next week and if cardiac activity is seen ,then will it be term as healthy pregnancy and shall it reach the full term with out any further complications?????? Also if cardiac activity is not seen after I repeat TVS and if i go for D&C ,will D&C affect my next pregnancy???? please tell me .
Answered by Dr. S Patra 5 hours later
Brief Answer: DETAILS ARE GIVEN BELOW. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for follow up queries. 1) If repeat TVS scan on next week can detect fetal heart beat, then it will be considered as late conception. Fetal heart beat is a best positive indicator of healthy pregnancy in the early weeks. However, you need to undergo next level of investigations according to your gestational age under the guidance of your gynecologist for proper assessment of growth and development of the baby. It also helps to eliminate certain risk and complication including fetal anomaly. If you do periodic check up and get normal test reports, then pregnancy will definitely continue till the full term. 2) If you don't see any kind of fetal cardiac activity on next scan report, then possibility of MISSED ABORTION is quite high. In that case, you need to undergo S & E (Suction and Evacuation) or D & C to evacuate the uterine cavity completely. It usually doesn't cause any problem in next pregnancy if abortion procedure is done methodically with proper care to avoid infection. You can contact with local healthcare provider or hospital for safe termination of pregnancy. You can try for next pregnancy after 3 months after starting normal regular period. In this time period, you would take Folic acid and Vitamin Supplements. Hope, I have answered your queries. Kindly, close the discussion. All the best and good luck. Regards, Dr Soumen