What does presence of blood in the semen suggest?

i have red blood in my semen. This has occured in the past: once 30 years ago a Dr said cysts may cause it, it went away without meds. Another time a Urologist said I was sitting to long and putting pressure on the testicles or it is caused by an inflamation. Urine and Prostate were checked, all normal. I was given meds and it went away within a week. . On two other occasions it went away in days. This time I saw two small seeds in the toilet bowel after urinating after ejaculation, next day I masturbated and w had red blood in the nominal Semen flow that flowed. I was told last year during a check up that I have a slightly enlarged prostate, It was checked as well urine and blood work, all normal. XXXX
Posted Fri, 31 Jan 2014 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Not to worry at this stage Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. The presence of blood in the semen suggests that there is either infection or inflamation. This causes blood vessels to bleed and makes them fragile. However as your urine report has come out normal and there are no pus cells in it, the possibility that it is due to infection or inflammation is less likely. The other distant possibility is that of a malignancy. But the fact that the episodes are very well spaced and between the episodes you never had any bleed suggests that it may not be a malignancy. Moreover the prostate examination has also come out normal. One common possibility is that of an aberrant vasculature in the urethra or vesicles. This causes occasional bleed but it is nothing to worry about as it is a temporary phenomenon. You may take some Vit C supplementation which helps in strengthening the vasculature. You may consider undergoing a diagnostic urethroscopy which will visualize if there are any abbarant vasculature and also if there is any inflammation or infection. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.