What does "posterior placenta with inferior margin" indicate?

Mar 2013
Dear Doctor my wife's 13 week ultrasound report shows posterior placenta with inferior margin, what does this suggest
Posted Tue, 28 Jan 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 3 minutes later
Hi, Could you please upload the ultrasound report, so that I can guide you better.
Follow-up: What does "posterior placenta with inferior margin" indicate? 10 minutes later
Please find attached the ultrasound report
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Brief Answer: ESSENTIALLY NORMAL REPORT. Detailed Answer: Hello Thank you for trusting us with your health concern. THe ultrasound report is essentially normal. THe placenta is the vascular organ that provides blood supply to the baby from the mother. NOrmally it is situated in the upper part of the uterus ( womb ). IT can be anterior ( in front ) or posterior ( towards the back of the mother ). Both are normal positions. SO do not worry. In the current report, it is mentioned that the inferior margin ( lower border ) of the placenta is reaching upto the internal os ( mouth of the uterus ). If this position persists , then the condition is called low lying placenta or placenta previa. This can cause certain complications to the mother such as bleeding, preterm labour, and problems to the baby such as preterm birth etc. However, this is a very rare occurrence. In 90 % of cases, such a placenta will migrate upwards as the pregnancy advances. In your case, only the edge is reaching upto below, it will most probably ( more than 90 % chances ) attain the normal position in the upper part of the uterus as pregnancy advances. SO do not worry. Just make sure that your wife gets adequate rest , and for the time being avoid intercourse, stress, jerky travelling, standing for prolonged hours etc. In case of any spotting / bleeding - immediately report to your obstetrician. I am very confident that the next scan ( should be done around 20 weeks ) will show a normally positioned placenta. All the best. Please feel free to discuss further.
Follow-up: What does "posterior placenta with inferior margin" indicate? 1 hour later
Thank you very much Dr. XXXXXXX your reply has been very detailed and very helpful. We will ensure caution as you explained and update you on the progress post the 20 week scan. Thanks and Regards XXXX
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 5 hours later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Mr. XXXXXXX Bannerjee. Thank you for the appreciation. I am glad I could provide you with some help and information. I would be very happy to assist you at any point of time. Please feel free to contact me anytime directly at - WWW.WWWW.WW Wish you loads of luck and good health and a happy parenthood ahead !