What does positive for HIV p24 antigen mean after being tested negative for HIV1 and HIV2?

Dermatologist
Question
after 1 year of exposure, I tested negative for hiv1 and hiv2 test-elisa and vdrl, but tested positive for hiv p24 antigen.. what does this mean? i tested 6 months back and it was all negative. pls reply asap thank you
Posted Tue, 7 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hello . Welcome ! Detailed Answer: Thank you for your message . The p 24 antigen which was initially positive , is a sign of HIV virus being present. The p 24 antigen however can be falsely positive as well as the antibodies were negative . The test you did later 6 months ago have revealed everything negative so this sums up that there was a high possibility of that false positivity . A clinical co relation would also be required . I would suggest you to do all the tests again now that you have mentioned above and get back to me . Thanks and Take care

Follow-up: What does positive for HIV p24 antigen mean after being tested negative for HIV1 and HIV2? 9 hours later
thank you for your answer.. i showed the doctor my results.. he told me to do hiv 1and 2 duo 4th generation western blot test proviral dna the results were negative/non reactive/not detected Does this mean the p24 antigen was false positive & im hiv negative :) thank you

Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 28 hours later
Brief Answer: Thank you for your message. Detailed Answer: Yes , it means you are HIV negative and the P24 was false positive. Thank you

Follow-up: What does positive for HIV p24 antigen mean after being tested negative for HIV1 and HIV2? 2 hours later
Thank you for the reply.. do i need to test again in 3 - 6 months.. or this results are accurate hiv negative ?

Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 4 days later
Brief Answer: Hello Thanks for your message Detailed Answer: The results are accurately HIV negative . You do not need to repeat the test. Regards