What does past herpes simplex mean as found in a blood test?

I have a concern about a blood test I received a couple of days ago. My GP didn't give me a straight answer and I am quite worried.
I would like you to explain to me what PAST herpes simplex means. This is what I read on the blood test result. I am of the opinion that I have it and always will have it. My GP tried to tell me that I have had it but it does not necessarily mean I have it now. I am worried that if I have it I could be at risk of passing it on.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 26 minutes later
Herpes virus usually stays on the skin and once you have it, it is difficult to get rid of the infection completely.
But from your tests, it seems that your antibody levels are raised that suggest that you have suffered from this infection earlier in your life.
This does not completely rule out you being infected now.
You can go for a repeat serology test to have a more clear picture. These tests can be false positive sometimes.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: What does past herpes simplex mean as found in a blood test? 10 minutes later
My GP did not call me as she said she was going to if anything was found and I thought that my blood tests were all clear and so I continued unprotected sexual activity with my partner whom I've been seeing now for a few weeks. What if I have already passed it onto him? He will be crushed and I will feel so guilty. Would you recommend, I go and have a further blood test done just to make sure? I would like to put my mind at ease.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Since your GP did not call you, it suggests that your tests are normal.
To put your mind at ease you need to collect your previous blood test report from your physician's office. In case it is suggestive of any infection, then you can go for a repeat tets for confirmation of the diagnosis.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.