What does "partial visualization of 4 cm midline submental density of the neck tissues" mean?

Pulmonologist
Question
My recent chest, CT scan result was as follows: “On the superior most images, partial visualization of 4 cm midline submental density of the neck tissues. Not fully visualized, and could be related to normal structures, though would correlate to exclude any palpable abnormality or fullness in this region.” What does this mean? What, if anything, should I do?
Posted Mon, 3 Mar 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: Consult an ENT spoecialist. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX A submental density would be better visualized in the CT of neck and not chest. I suggest you go for either USG neck or CT neck to establish the exact nature of the density. You may also consult a ENT specialist who can examine you and then advise you accordingly.

Follow-up: What does "partial visualization of 4 cm midline submental density of the neck tissues" mean? 3 days later
What does "submental" refer to? What is a "USG"? thank you.

Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 18 hours later
Brief Answer: Submental is the area below the chin region. Detailed Answer: Submental is the area below the chin region. USG is ultra sonography scan of any area.