What does "palpable abnormality corresponds to a nonspecific hypoechoic "mean?

General Surgeon
My daughter was taken in for an ultrasound for possible intestinal strangulation (she has umbilical hernia) soft tissue abdomen and a 'hard spot' showing blue bruise(?) near the belly button hernia. Results came back as follows: "palpable abnormality corresponds to a nonspecific 8x10x5 millimeter hypoechoic to anechoic subcutaneous module. It is well-defined. No definite hilum identified to confirm lymph node. It is adjacent to a possible umbilical hernia, although that is not clearly visualized on this exam." Can you break this down into simple terms...What does this mean? Is she ok? The mention of a lymph node mean a possible form of cancer?
Posted Wed, 26 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: relax its not cancer Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing to Healthcaremagic. This is Dr. Ashish Verma, a general surgeon, answering to your query. The scan said that there is no identifiable lymph node...i.e. no lymph node is there....and presence of lymph node does not always means cancer...they are even seen in infection and inflammation. In this usg...the hard mass can be stool which has accumulated due to obstruction due to the strangulated hernia. Also the blue spot is due to the inflammatory reaction of the skin to the strangulated hernia's toxic fluid. So now your daughter needs emergency surgery for it. Hope, that I have answered to all your queries. If you have further queries, I will be glad to answer them. Regards Dr. Ashish Verma
Follow-up: What does "palpable abnormality corresponds to a nonspecific hypoechoic "mean? 23 hours later
Thanks, Yes, she's having surgery in May for her umbilical hernia. But you mentioned it is emergency surgery?
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: then its not strangulated Detailed Answer: Hi, Strangulated hernia is an emergency surgery. If the doctors have decided to do an elective surgery, then your daughter's hernia must not be strangulated. That's again good news. Hernia diagnosis is mostly by clinical examination... which was done by your doctors there....and is not possible by me sitting they are the best judge for her...follow there advice. Regards Dr. Ashish Verma