What does painless lump on the shin indicate?

A few days ago I noticed a swelling on my leg, at the side of my shin. A few weeks ago I bumped the bottom part of my shin against the bottom of my car (slipped on ice); this swelling however is at a higher spot and doesn't seem to be related to that bumping of my shin a few weeks ago. What could this bump/swelling on my leg/shin be from; it appeared rather 'suddenly.'
Posted Sun, 9 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: details required Detailed Answer: Hello This swelling might be unrelated to injury. I would like to know few addition things. 1. Is there pain in the swelling? 2. Can you feel a mass moving under skin when you Palpate the bump ? Please upload a photograph of the lesions. This will help me in giving a closer diagnosis and a better way of management. There is an option to upload photograph on right side of query page. Please utilize that. Waiting for your response. Thank you.
Follow-up: What does painless lump on the shin indicate? 1 hour later
Answer to question #1: No, there is no pain in the swelling; just on the right side of it it's a bit sensitive (that's also where the swelling is discoloured a bit; #2: No, I cannot feel a mass moving under the skin. The bump/swelling is about 7cm long and 5cm wide and 3 cm high in the centre. I don't know how to upload a picture, so I hope this reply helps.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 16 hours later
Brief Answer: Tumor Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the details. Painless lump appearing suddenly may indicate a tumor. Please get an ultrasound of the lump done. It would be better if you meet a surgeon and get yourself investigated. Let me know if you have any other doubts. Thank you