What does painful lymph nodes under armpits and chest area indicate?

I have painful lymph nodes under my armpits and chest area. This has been for 5 months, I have had sinus problems and still have. Is there any reason to worry? One side of my face is hyper sensitive, my doctor has put me on the waiting list at the hospital to see a general practitioner as she dosent know what is wrong.
Posted Sun, 26 Jan 2014 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: details below Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query. painful lymph nodes usually are associated with infection in body. However persistence for 5 months may be a XXXXXXX sign. A Fnac must be done to rule out lymphomas. I suggest you to take some anti inflammatory tablet to control pain and meet doctor as soon as possible. Let me know if you have any other doubts. Thank you.
Follow-up: What does painful lymph nodes under armpits and chest area indicate? 5 hours later
What does a Fnac test entail. The Doctors clinic in my town is of poor quality and I fear that they will not take things further. Is it serious enough to visit an after hours hospital check?
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 31 hours later
Brief Answer: Details below Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for the follow up. FNAC is a test in which a little amount of content will be aspirated from one of the lymphnodes and the tissue will be studied for presence of malignant cells. According to me it is better to get this test done. You do not need to go to after hours clinic. It is always better to get a proper diagnosis even if the condition is harmless. Let me know if you have any other doubts. Thank you