What does pain on right side of neck at the skull base indicate?

About 3 weeks ago I noticed this pain on the right side of my neck at the base of the skull. The pain shoots up the right side of my head when I turn from side to side. Lately my right ear started to ache but the pain would come and go. This past week I am feeling pressure in my right ear and below my right temple. Makes me feel almost dizzy at times. The pain in my neck is much better not completely gone yet. Any ideas on these other symptoms and if this neck issue could cause that?
Posted Sat, 1 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Possibly paraspinal muscle spasm Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear Ms XXXX The cause of your symptoms could possibly be due to para-spinal muscle spasm at the base of skull. It can give rise to radiation of pain to other site, as in your case even near the ear. In the absence of other ear symptoms like tinnitus(ringing sound in ear) and ear discharge, the symptoms are unlikely to be due to ear problem. Local hot water fomentation to the neck and analgesic, skeletal muscle relaxant may provide much needed relief. Do consult your Physician for further Clinical assessment by examination if the symptoms still persists. Wishing you good Health Do get back if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Take Care Best Regards Dr T Shobha Deepak MBBS,MD