What does pain in breast indicates?

my left breast has been sore for about two days or so. it is sometimes worse than other times. what could this be an indication of?
Posted Mon, 16 Dec 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: Can be due to hormonal changes. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. The intermittent pain in the breast is usually seen due to hormonal changes in the body like premenstrual phase, pregnancy,etc. The possible causes in case the pain is persistent for more than 2 weeks are, 1. Fibro cystic disease of the breast: sometimes small noncancerous lumps will occur in the breast usually because of hormonal influence. Sometimes lumps may not be felt. Swelling, tenderness of the breast, itchy nipples can be seen in this. 2. Mastitis : It is characterized by pain, swelling, redness of the breast. In case of presence of breast abscess, fever can also be seen. 3. changes during pregnancy: These changes can be seen in early pregnancy, so if that possibility is there better to for pregnancy test once. 4. presence of lumps(fibroadenoma) or cysts in the breast. Now you once visit local gynecologist or general surgeon and undergo checkup if needed go for mammogram which will help in diagnosing the cause. Depending on the result you can take the treatment. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: What does pain in breast indicates? 4 hours later
how early of a pregnancy symptom can this be? what's the soonest you would typically get it?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 19 hours later
Brief Answer: 10 days post ovulation. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. If it is due to pregnancy, it is earliest detectable at 8-10 days after the expected date of ovulation., Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards
Follow-up: What does pain in breast indicates? 5 hours later
I am sorry just to clarify. Is the actually pregnancy detectable 8-10 days. I was more wondering how soon after conception my breasts could start feeling sore. Is this something you could start feeling almost immediately after becoming pregnant?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes. Detailed Answer: Hello. Yes you can feel the breast soreness a few days before the expected date of your periods. If your periods are overdue then it is best to get a pregnancy test done to find out. After the conception, the symptoms start appearing in 7-10 days. Regards.