Ask a Dentist   »  

What does pain and a boil at bottom of the molar tooth indicate?

Hi, I have been having tooth ache and sensitivity for the past 3 days. I went to the dentist and post an OPG he suggested that there is a black mass below my molar which is causing the pain. I had my first sitting for the root canal yesterday and it has been paining a lot more than earlier. Today , I can see a boil at the bottom of the molar and its paining a lot. Please let me know how serious it is and any precautions I must take. I have my next sitting with my dentist after 3 days.
Posted Tue, 18 Mar 2014 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 1 hour later
Brief Answer: It can be abscess & better go for extraction Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for writing in. As per your history, I would like to tell you that you are having abscess in that tooth. Once RCT is started pain & sensitivity disappears unless you apply pressure on that side.Moreover there is no point of having any boil or swelling in that region.Since you are complaining of boil so its better to get it extracted.In your case RCT wun't be much successful. Complete your course of medications. Don't chew from that side. Discuss it with your dentist in next sitting. Hope I answered your query Wishing you good health Regards Dr. Neha Sumra