What does one do if their child has swallowed a battery ?

My 10 month old put a battery in her mouth 4 hours ago. She went to bed fine but woke up screaming and now I need to worry? She went back to sleep now but not sure what I should do!
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.

As long as the battery was not leaking any content such as acid material there should be no problem. Sometimes a battery could lead to a small electric shock type reaction if put in the mouth. Beyond this there is usually no need for concern unless someone swallows the battery.

I don't think coughing was related to the battery in the mouth either. This was likely a coincidental symptom.

Let me reassure you that you should not have anything to worry about at this time. Continue to observe her and she should be fine.

Thanks again for the query. I hope my answer was reassuring, informative and helpful. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga