What does occasional loose and sticky stool indicate?

Hi, once or twice a week my stool is very loose and sticky, with no shape its just a big mass, usually dark brown in color. Anything to be concerned about?
Posted Fri, 24 Jan 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please provide the requested medical data of yours Detailed Answer: Hi, The very loose and sticky stool once a week might be related to: - foods you eat (especially greens) - any supplement you take As it happens once or twice a week and not frequently, then, to my judgement there is nothing to be concerned about. However, first, please indicate if: - you have done any previous test (colonoscopy, fecal examination) - you have taken any recent drug (antibiotic, etc.) - you have been constipated? Looking forward to kindly have your additional medical data in! Thank you! Dr.Alba
Follow-up: What does occasional loose and sticky stool indicate? 18 hours later
Hi Dr. XXXXXXX - In response to your questions, no I have not done any previous tests nor have I taken any recent drugs or been constipated. I should clarify that while usually it is once or twice/week, on occassion it will be more frequent like 3-4 times. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: Loose&sticky stool might relate to foods you eat Detailed Answer: Hi again, Thank you for following up. If this is your case, and if you are not having any abdominal pain or other complains, then, most probably, the loose&sticky stool could be because of foods you eat. In case you are abdominal pain/discomfort or other complains, I'd suggest to: - do examination of stool for ova/parasites - culture of stool for candida/bacteria - do fecal occult blood test Meanwhile, I'd advise to: - avoid fatty/sugary/processed foods - if using raw vegetables (especially green leaf), please wash them thoroughly with water. - keep good hygiene when preparing foods - wash well your hands with water and soap after going to bathroom. Take care! Dr.Alba