What does numbness and tingling in arms with diarrhoea and abdominal cramps indicate?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
Hi, Ok. This week I have had some unusual symptoms and my husband is getting concerned I have not gone to the doctor.We have had a bad snow storm so my regular physician could not get me in until Monday(4 days from now). I need to know if I need to see a doctor before then... Here's how my week has been: Sunday afternoon my left arm is numb, tingling, and hand feels asleep along with that I had a bad headache Monday: Woke up still with numbness in arm (continued through the day) and a weird rash between my breast and belly button. Kind of looked like a really spotty bruise. Tuesday: Rash started to go away but still had numbness in left arm, dizziness, and a headache Wednesday: Woke up at 3 a.m. with watery diarrhea, vomitting, fever, and still numbness in left arm. Had diarrhea and vomitting for about 6 hours. At the end of the diarrhea there was slight blood in my stool Thursday: Woke up with a slight fever, still numbness in arm and now a slight pain in back under shoulder blade. ate a small breakfast and immediately got abdominal cramps. Last night had to go pass stool finally since I had diarrhea the day before. The beginning I had a little blood again but none after that. Friday (today): Still numbness in left arm and pain in back. Stomach cramps occasionally and a headache.... Any ideas? Do I need to go to the E.R? I don't want to bother them if I'm not an "emergency" but it will be another 4 days before I can get into the doctors and this has already been going on since sunday night.....
Posted Thu, 27 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Non worrisome, reason is infection. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. First of all, I would like to reassure you that there is no need to worry about your symptoms and you can wait till Monday to see your doctor. Your symptoms suggest a gut infection (viral or bacterial) leading to diarrhoea and abdominal cramps. Taking a course of antibiotics (norfloxacin) may be useful. Regarding numbness in arms, it is possible that it could be due to a pinched nerve in the neck region. Sometimes, the rash could suggest a viral infection such as herpes, and that could also affect the nerve leading to numbness. If the doctor examines you, then, a diagnosis of herpes zoster can be confirmed, and treated with aciclovir. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in