What does nodular contour with marked atrophy at the left lobe mean?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2014
May 2014

Radiologist
Question
What does nodular contour with marked atrophy at the left lobe mean this was a result from my scan
Posted Tue, 20 Aug 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 32 minutes later
Thanks for writing in to WWW.WWWW.WW
This is Dr Vivek, radiologist replying to your query.

I suppose you went for an abdominal scan. The nodularity and atrophy of the left lobe of liver signifies changes seen in liver disease. The surface of the liver shows rounded pattern called nofules with decrease in size which is termed atrophy. These changes could guide your doctor towards a clinical diagnosis of cirrhosis of liver. Causes of liver cirrhosis need to be evaluated in your situation.

Hope your query is answered.
Further queries welcome.

Dr Vivek

Follow-up: What does nodular contour with marked atrophy at the left lobe mean? 16 minutes later
I was already diagnosed with cirrhosis three years ago, I wanted to know if this was a good reading . Will my liver ever repair itself.
What does imporved mean

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 3 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in with an update.

Cirrhosis of liver is not an isolated imaging diagnosis, it requires monitoring of the patient every 3 months for further complications.

In clinical setup, cirrhosis is classified by the Child's criteria into Class A, Class B and Class C. this classification is made by tabulating Encephalopathy, Ascites, Bilirubin (mg/dL), Albumin (g/dL) and Prothrombin time(seconds prolonged or INR) variables. Class A is least severe and Class C is most severe.

Imaging has clinical importance and must be compared with previous scan findings.

If the nodularity and marked left lobe of liver atrophy were not there earlier or were of lesser degree, then the problem might have increased and you must see your doctor and take preventive measures to avoid decompensation of liver function. I am very sorry to state that the liver rarely repairs by itself in your situation but alternative treatments are always available to keep the liver functioning and must be monitored regularly.

I could not understand what you intend to ask in your question "What does improved mean?" and am sorry about that. You may please rephrase your question once again.

Hope your query is answered.
Further queries welcome.

Dr Vivek

Follow-up: What does nodular contour with marked atrophy at the left lobe mean? 12 hours later
What does a well compensated liver mean.

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in with your query regarding compensated liver in cirrhosis.

As discussed earlier, In clinical setup, cirrhosis is classified by the Child's criteria into Class A, Class B and Class C.

Score                    1          2          3
Bilirubin (micromol/l)          50
Albumin (g/l)               >35          28-35          6
Encephalopathy           none      mild      marked
Ascites                none      mild      marked

If there is primary biliary cirrhosis or sclerosing cholangitis then bilirubin is classified as 170=3.

The individual scores are summed and then grouped as:
•     <7 = A
•     7-9 = B
•     >9 = C

A Score less than 7 (Child’s Class A) is compensated liver cirrhosis.

Class A
Compensated Cirrhosis means that you are stable.
Your liver is functioning fairly alright. You may have no symptoms or very few that respond well to treatments.

Class B
You might be starting to decompensate. You symptoms show up and increase and sometimes may get difficult to control. This is when most are evaluated for liver transplant.

Class C
Decompensated means that your liver is having problems functioning. You have symptoms and they may be getting worse. Usually your symptoms progressively increase with lesser response to treatment.

Hope your queries are answered.
Should there be any further queries, please feel free to ask.

Dr Vivek

Follow-up: What does nodular contour with marked atrophy at the left lobe mean? 2 days later
I am starting to get bruise on my arms, they are little black and blue marks that come and go they don't hurt or anything but they look ugly .What do they mean if anything.

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 8 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in back and hope you are doing well.

The bruises and undesirable marks in your arms are a reflection of your liver function. In cirrhosis, the blood clotting mechanism may get affected and the prothrombin time and INR (international normalized ratio) of blood gets affected. This leads to blood showing up in small capillaries under the skin which you are seeing as marks for short durations.

I suggest you get you discuss blood clotting parameters with your doctor and have them reviewed and treated.

Hope your queries are answered.

Dr Vivek

My meld score is a 7,but I am not sure why my ammonia level is high what does this mean ? What is the ammonia level and what causes it to go up and down. Thank you

Hi XXXXXXX

The Model for End-Stage Liver Disease, or MELD, is a scoring system for assessing the severity of chronic liver disease.

In interpreting the MELD Score in hospitalized patients, the 3 month mortality for a score less than 9 is 1.9% mortality. This is the least serious group.
Serum ammonia levels can be on the higher side in some patients. In some patients, there is an exceptional tolerance to higher readings, while others can experience symptoms like delirium, or even coma, at much lower levels. Patients who have undergone the TIPS procedure and shunting are more likely to exhibit higher than normal levels.

Ammonia levels in the blood are regulated by the breakdown of nitrogenous products, which is affected by the dietary intake. Initially lactulose is given to patients to bring down blood ammonia levels. Alternative medications are also available and this can be discussed with your doctor.

You must keep a close monitoring of your blood ammonia levels in association with any symptoms and be in regular touch with your doctor.

Hope your queries are answered.

Dr Vivek