Ask a Urologist   »  

What does my urine culture report indicate?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
Attached urine culture test report please explsin whst in cause
Posted Sun, 19 Nov 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
It indicates that you do not have bacterial infection of Urine

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .

Based on the culture report of Urine that you have posted insignificant growth of micro organisms indicates that you do not have bacterial infection of urine .

Whenever culture of any fluid like urine ,blood,pus etc is done a sediment of the material is placed in a disc containing culture medium called Petry disc and incubated for 48 hours .Normally whenever there is bacterial infection the bacteria grow in colonies .The colony count above 100000 is considered to be Significant and opined positive for bacterial infection ..The microscopic study of the one of the colony detects the type of Bacteria . However when ever the colony count is less than 100000 it is declared to be insignificant and indicates absence of infection .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.