What does my urine analysis report indicate?

My urinalysis results read: epithelial cells- > 5- 7; white blood cells- > 25; protein- tace; ph- 6.5; leukocytes- +++; bacteria- ++++. Everything else is negative. What could this mean?
Posted Thu, 17 Jan 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 hours later
Your urine examination does not show entirely normal findings. Epithelial cells in the urine is a normal finding. Presence of pus cells or white blood cells more than 5 per Hpf indicates the urinary tract infection is nearly confirmed.
The presence of acidic urine, turbidity, pus cells and bacteria indicate that Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) has indeed occurred. You have to know that UTIs are common in women than men.
Bacteria ++++ indicates a heavily infected urine with >1000 cells/cubic mm.
I would advice you to do the following
1. Seek medical attention as soon as possible for a urine culture along with complete blood count and an ultrasound scan of the renal system.
2. You will have to be put on antibiotics. Most commonly a Fluroquinolone like Tab Balofloxacin for 14 days followed by a repeat urine routine.
3. If the urine grows an organism the antibiotic can be changed to what that organism is sensitive to.
4. Drink plenty of water
5. Use protection during intercourse and your partner should undergo a urine routine as well.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.